The Balanced Living Journal

Practical information for busy women from Women's Success Coach Catherine Bruns. Visit me also at www.coachbalance.com

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Supportive Circles of Women

I spent this last weekend in California helping my sister move herself and her 1 year old son 30 miles down the road and away from her boyfriend. This has been a long time brewing and since there’s now a baby involved it was a particularly difficult decision and action for my sister, though it was the right one for all involved.

As I schlepped box after box, first up the driveway and into the truck, and then out of the truck and up the 16 cement stairs I had glee in my heart. Certainly not for my sister’s pain, or for the ugly work of moving house, but for the simple fact that I was able to be there for my sister and help her during a very difficult time.

I’ve always been a big believer in the power of women’s support of other women and that belief was certainly cemented as I have participated in my sister’s transition.

Women are not meant to be alone. Look backwards in time. Historically, women have always banded with the other women in the tribe, village, frontier, PTA. There have been circles of women forever – come together for quilting, prayer, weight loss, you name it. Women know how to help other women. And women simply cannot get along without each other.

I am very fortunate that I have an amazing circle of women to call my own. They are 9 spectacularly different women, varying in age from 30 to 60 who I could call to help me with anything. What peace I feel knowing that these goddesses are there for me.

And my circle has provided me with much more than support. It is from this group that I have learned how to speak my truth, receive from others, trust myself, and bring the wisdom of age into my heart. I would not be who I am today without these women. They have given me the great gift of mirroring myself back to me so I can continue to grow.

So, who’s in your circle? What women could you call upon for any need that you might have? Who’s your best friend?

I hope you have answers to those questions. It’s important that you do. You can’t do life alone. You need other people, and you need other women. Reach out and strengthen your relationships with important women in your life. And if you’re one of the fortunate ones like me to have that supportive circle, then reach out to a woman who is struggling and may not be as lucky as you.

I want you all to feel that glee in your heart that comes from the true connection of one woman to another.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Catherine Bruns said...

Thanks Terry! I'm so glad you have the experience of a circle of women and how powerful and rich that is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home