The Balanced Living Journal

Practical information for busy women from Women's Success Coach Catherine Bruns. Visit me also at www.coachbalance.com

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Scary Leap from Corporate Secure to Entrepeneur Free!


Maybe you've done it already, or maybe you're just sitting in your cubicle dreaming about it. No, I'm not talking about a date with your personal McDreamy, I'm talking about your leap from employee to entrepreneur!

I did it two years ago and most of my clients either have just made the leap or are teetering on the edge looking at the ground so far far below.

It can be a scary thing, but there is so much excitement, possiblity and freedom in becoming your own boss and seeing your own dream come to fruition.

In her blog Escape From Cubicle Nation (cute, yeah?) Pamela Stewart shares three things that we definitely leave behind when we leave the security of our corporate lives.

Transition and change always involve leaving behind and gaining something new. As you consider leaping into the wide world of being an entrepreneur take a look at your whole picture - not just the fact that you'll be able to work in your sweats and won't have to listen to someone's crackly pop station radio all day.

You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Know your values and what's important to you. If your primary value is freedom, like mine is, then at best being an employee will never feel completely satisfying, at worst it will feel like a straightjacket. But, if you are a person who values steadiness and security, then the entrepreneur road is going to be a rocky one for you and corporate life may be your satisfaction ticket.

There is value in the adage, look before you leap. Just be sure that you're looking inside as well as out.

Photo from: Don Getty

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine!

Thanks so much for the reference to my post on your blog. I LOVE the photo you chose to represent the topic.

I agree with you that not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. I commend you for taking the leap a couple of years ago. I have been at it almost 10 years myself and learn something new just about every day.

Where I think that us coaches can really assist our clients is to help them sift through the "good scared" and "bad scared" feelings they have about busting out of their corporate job. Some with real entrepreneurial tendencies are just afraid of the unknown and will relax and get more confident as they gain access to good information. Others may lack key skills and will be better off, as you say, staying in their corner office.

I love the fact that you coach from Hawaii - a good lifestyle example for us all!

Cheers,
-Pam

P.S. I just changed to my married name of Pamela Slim, so you will see a new byline soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home