The Balanced Living Journal

Practical information for busy women from Women's Success Coach Catherine Bruns. Visit me also at www.coachbalance.com

Monday, February 13, 2006

What I've Learned from a Ski Boot

My husband and I just got back from a week of fabulous fun in Whistler, BC Canada. Since I've been skiing since I was 8, it is a sport I know well, but that I don't get to do much since I've been living in Hawaii for the last 11 years.

My wonderful husband, Carlos, who is always in favor of complete satisfaction, suggested multiple times at the beginning of our trip that I get new ski boots. Why? Because I had been complaining last time we skiied that my feet hurt a
bit.

'No', I said, 'they don't hurt that bad, it's not that big a deal'. 'But, they're old, how old are they?', Carlos asked. Hmmm.... let's see, before Hawaii - omigod, about 14 years old! And, what is that funny dusty look that the plastic has - I"ve never seen that before.

OK - can you see the good information happening here - pain, weird looking plastic, and definite age on the old side? But, I still didn't pay attention.

So, I donned all my mountain gear, strapped on those trusty boots, and started on my way to the shuttle. See what happened?

Craaaaccckk! All of a sudden my tootsies were wiggling in the cold mountain air and the toe of my boot was a few steps behind me. Then, craaack, off went the other toe too. As I walked back to our condo, definitely NOT skiing that day, the boots completely disintigrated. I had to collect pieces of plastic all the way back.

As Carlos likes to remind me now - disaster averted in a big way! Can you imagine if I was heading down a mogul run and my boots cracked apart? Broken ankles and a few other things for sure.

I'm glad that the Universe decided to give me such a humorous lesson instead of a painful one. From this funny experience, here's what I've learned:

I have a very strong belief that I should eek out every last drop of use from an object/ tool before a new one is purchased. The old one should fall apart (literally, I guess), before buying a new one is appropriate. This belief really got in my way as I denied all the information being presented to me to make a good decision for new boots. I also failed to consider that boot technology had changed a lot in the years since my last purchase and so I would be buying a much improved product.


This funny experience really pointed out to me how this belief of mine can limit the success in my business. Do I have to wait for a computer breakdown to buy a new one? Do I have to have my carpal tunnel act up in order to buy a properly sitting chair?

I hope my lessons continue to be funny and that I don't have to break any bones or databases along the way. Just to keep me focused, I think I'll keep a picture of the exploding ski boot handy.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The universe works in strange ways, to say the least. I am so glad you learned this lesson in such a timely fashion!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Catherine Bruns said...

Me too! And now my husband is attempting to use this lesson of mine to get a new flat screen TV!

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story...the picture really makes it even more amazing! Knowing when to upgrade or replace is tricky business...thanks for this insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home