The Balanced Living Journal

Practical information for busy women from Women's Success Coach Catherine Bruns. Visit me also at www.coachbalance.com

Friday, June 24, 2005

How do You Define Success?

I've just finished reading Michael Gerber's great book, 'The E-Myth Revisited'. I thought for the longest time that this book was about technology (the title's not that great), but what a delight to discover that this was a book about creating your small business from the inside out.

Finally, a book that combines for me the specific and practical aspects of creating and developing a small business, but with a heart and soul. I have found myself so resistant to the traditionally masculine models of business (see my post below), but I have known that I needed to incorporate these practices to be successful. Now I have a map how to do that. I asked for help in managing the feminine and masculine aspects of business and I got it! How powerful is that?!

So, this has had me pondering about success. What is it? I think often when we don't explore for deeper meaning we equate success with money, but it's not a secret that money buys things, not feelings. I also think that the concept of success can be limiting for us. Sometimes we consider success to be the end of the road, the place which we strive to be. Well, what happens when we get there? What do we do next? Just sit around and feel successful?

Oprah says that when your wildest dream comes true that just means you have to create a bigger dream.

So, success is maybe markers along an evolving road? If you think about it that way, aren't there lots of successes then? The little ones, like losing that 10 lbs, and the big ones like selling your company for a million dollars.

Success to me means growth. It also means freedom and connection. There is some dollar amounts that weigh in on my definition, but the money is not the most important. I feel successful in a day if I end with a feeling of accomplishment - that may mean in my business, in my marriage, in my health... I also feel successful if I have acknowledged a limitation, a fear perhaps, and acted anyway. That's a big success for me.

How do you define success? How do you attend to your own success every day?

Need a success partner? Someone to help you define, notice and act your success. I coach women to achieve their success - www.coachbalance.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home