The Balanced Living Journal

Practical information for busy women from Women's Success Coach Catherine Bruns. Visit me also at www.coachbalance.com

Sunday, June 12, 2005

To Intend or Not to Intend...

My friend Sue and I got together the other night at our favorite catch up and have a martini (or two) place. We always have the coolest conversations, and this one was no different.

Sue mentioned that she really enjoyed my latest newsletter, which had an article on Powerful Intentions. Sue thought it was particularly interesting that I had distinguished between an intention and a goal - she said she had never thought about that before.
Because I think formulating and using intention is such a unrecognized and misunderstood tool, I really wanted to know more.

This distinction between intention and goal is key, but a very slippery one. While I grasp it by framing intentions as questions, (ie. How can I make today great?), Sue defined intention as 'being in the state of allowing it to happen - getting out of the way.' (ie. Today is going to be great.) I loved that so much I had to grab a napkin and write it down! Both these examples of intention feel different than stating a goal (ie. I will make today great.)

Fine lines, yes. But, do you feel the difference? In a goal the energy is push. In an intention the energy is pull, or flow.

What do you think? What's the difference between an intention and a goal for you?

How does intention serve you? How could it serve you better?

I'd really love to learn more about intention and how you view it.

2 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great distinction! I like it so much I introduced this post on a members-only coaching blog I write here in Japan. Thank you!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Catherine Bruns said...

Thanks Leslie. I'd love to hear what your member-coaches have to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home