The Balanced Living Journal

Practical information for busy women from Women's Success Coach Catherine Bruns. Visit me also at www.coachbalance.com

Friday, August 05, 2005

Becoming What You Believe

Yesterday I heard something from Oprah that made me get up off the couch, run to my desk and write furiously so I would not lose the intense wisdom that had just occurred. Oprah said:

"You don't become what you want. You become what you believe."

Wow! Not that I didn't already know that, but somehow it just hit me like a mack truck yesterday. Which got me to wondering, what is it that I believe about me? And, am I satisfied creating those beliefs?

Beliefs are so powerful and often lurking in those messy closets in our mind that remain unopened. There's a whole theoretical perspective in psychology, called Cognitive Behavioral, which puts forth that everything about us is created by our thinking.

We have such incredible power over our thoughts and beliefs (most of the time), so how do we use that power? To build ourselves up and make ourselves whole and full? Wonderful!

Often though, our beliefs and thoughts may be repetitions of hurtful and demeaning words we've heard in the past, or coping methods that we've learned from others that no longer serve us.

What do you believe about yourself and how does that serve you? The woman on Oprah yesterday believed that she was not good enough for her husband and that he would leave her. And, that's exactly what she was unconsciously creating.

How can you change your belief so that it creates a shining beacon of light for you? For the Oprah women, her challenge was to begin to believe that her husband was lucky to have her.

What are the beliefs that are holding you back from the best you possible? What beliefs are serving you in being your best? Pull out your polish cloth and shine up your beliefs and tell us how you're doing that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home